“Small acts, when multiplied by millions of people, can transform the world.” ― Howard Zinn
It may be hard to believe but April is right around the calendar corner and that means Earth and Climate Justice Month at ERUUF with in person and virtual offerings. We invite all members and friends to join us in putting intention and attention on living our UU 7th Principle (ultimately all our Principles are related as we cannot have justice or peace without clean air and water, fertile soil, and stable climate) at higher levels of expression in practical ways, right here and right now!
- Sunday, 4/2: Kick off Earth and Climate Justice Month with our Pledge to Act for the Earth and Our Children Campaign with weekly tabling after worship throughout April. Contact: Denise Frizzell. We also invite you to drop off your favorite plant-based recipe or email it to Betsy Bickel for inclusion in an upcoming, ERUUFians’ Favorite Plant-Based Recipes Cookbook!
- Sundays, 4/2, 4/9, 4/23, 4/30, Enjoy Plant-based Coffee Hour Delights. Contact: Gabriele Weinberger.
- Monday, 4/17 through Earth Day, Saturday, 4/22. Plant-based Eating Week. Point of contact: Jonathan Sheline.
- Monday, 4/17, 7 pm-8:30 pm, Talk by Howard Jacobson, PhD, author, coach, and podcaster on making personal change. Location: Fellowship Hall. Please register by 4/14.
- Friday, 4/21, 7-8:30 pm. Location: Fellowship Hall. An Evening of Topical Short Films & Discussion. Please register by 4/18.
- Saturday, 4/22, 5:00-7pm. Plant-based Potluck--bring your favorite PB dish and recipe to share! Location: Commons Room CARE Bldg. Please register by Wednesday, 4/19.
- Wednesday, 4/19, in person, 1 pm. Location: Commons Room & Thursday, 4/20, 7 pm, online: Earth Justice Reading Group of the book, Climate Justice: Hope, Resilience, and the Fight for a Sustainable Future by Mary Robinson, former president of Ireland and the Special Envoy on Climate Change. Contacts: Lynda Hambourger and Lila Rosa.
- Saturday, 4/22, EARTH DAY 2023--All members are encouraged to find a local area hands on activity in which to show your love to Mother Earth today! If you are unable to find one, grab a few neighbors and invite them to join you for a neighborhood litter clean up.
- Sunday, 4/23, Earth Day Intergenerational Worship Service. Point of contact, Betsy Bickel.
- Sundays, 4/23, 4/30, 5/7, 11:30-12:30 pm, RE Adult offering: Spiritual Activism: Healing Ourselves, Healing Our World. Location: Sanctuary Chapel (to the right off foyer/vestibule area before the main sanctuary). You are invited to join fellow ERUUFian, Earth Justice and Justice Ministry Council member, and spiritual activist in training, Denise Frizzell, in exploring the topic of spiritual activism with questions such as, “How might you define such an integrated identity and a life path of “spiritual activism?” What might it mean as a way of life? What significance might it hold for you? What might it look like on a daily basis?” in an experiential sampling of this potentially “holy-disrupting” inquiry (and practice) into a new way of being human as we approach the crossroad of evolutionary Earth Community and devolutionary dystopia. Please register by 4/19.
- Saturday, 4/29, 9:30 am-2 pm: Sustainable Living Fair: From Consumers to Earth Stewards. Location: ERUUF Fellowship Hall.
This year our Sustainable Living Fair will focus on the necessity to continue making the shift in personal identity and life choices from consumers to Earth stewards. Topic areas covered include waste reduction, electric vehicles, sustainable fashion, and opportunities available via the Inflation Reduction Act. Catered plant-based lunch. $10 lunch donation requested. Please register by Friday, 4/21 , 5pm to assist with food order. Contact: Denise Frizzell.